Words with the antonymic prefix dis- are easily puzzled with similar-looking terms beginning with mis- or un- the usually have actually differing connotations or entirely distinct senses. Below are comparative definitions of several of these terms, together with etymological identification:
1-2. Disassemble/Dissemble/MisassembleThe first two words have a mutual etymology however distinct meanings. Come disassemble initially meant “to disperse” and now way “to take apart,” but to dissemble is to conceal or simulate. The Latin root they share is simulare, which means “to make like or come compare.” (Resemble, semblance, and also the like likewise stem indigenous this word, and also similar is carefully related.) Dissimulation is dissemble’s an ext directly lower synonym. Come misassemble, meanwhile, is to rally incorrectly.
You are watching: Words that start with the prefix dis
3-4. Disassociate/DissociateThese interchangeable words median “to separate,” either literally, as in withdrawing indigenous a social group, or figuratively, together in diverging from previous behavior. (The usual root stems native the Latin hatchet sociare, which method “to join,” native which English beginning social, society, and similar words.)
5. Discharge/MischargeDischarge way “to release,” “to unload,” or “to do one’s duties.” Mischarge is a rarely word meaning “to make a failure in charging,” as in loading a weapon. (The root word, charge, is native the Latin hatchet carricare, meaning “to load.”)
6. Disconnect/MisconnectTo disconnect is to uncouple or unhook. Come misconnect is to put together erroneously. (The mutual root, connect, is indigenous the Latin indigenous connectere, “to sign up with together.” the word’s root, in turn, is pertained to nexus, an interpretation “a connect or bond.”)
7. Discount/MiscountA discount is a markdown top top a price. A miscount is a tabulation make in error. (The resource of the root count is the Latin native computare, indigenous which, the course, compute and also computer room derived.)
8. Disinformation/MisinformationDisinformation is a kind or propaganda intended to cover increase inconvenient truth and/or guide public opinion. Misinformation is a more neutral term referring just to not correct data. (The Latin root they share is formare, which way “to form or shape.”)
9. Disinterest/UninterestThese seemingly identical words sharing the root word interest (from the Latin hatchet interesse, an interpretation “to be between” or “to make a difference”) have a crucial difference the connotation: To be disinterested is to have actually no stake in something, to be impartial, and also uninterested denotes the much more basis feeling of a absence of issue or invest in something.
10. Dislocate/MislocateTo dislocate is to put out of place; to mislocate is come misplace, or lose. (Locate is indigenous the Latin word locare, “to place,” and is concerned locus, which refers to a website or center.)
11. Disorder/MisorderDisorder is a absence of organization or an instance of arbitrarily placement, or a state of society upheaval; that is rarely supplied as a verb, perhaps since disorder is normally not a consciously accomplished state. Misorder is an uncommon verb definition “to erroneously order,” as in preparing an order, or a list of items such as tasks to achieve or commodities to purchase. Disorder additionally applies to a psychological or physical problem that is no normal. (The source word order is lower from the Latin ax ordinem, an interpretation “arrangement.”)
12. Disorganized/UnorganizedThese antonyms of organized (from the Latin word organum, an interpretation “instrument” or “organ”) are almost synonymous, however a distinction is occasionally made between the former referring impersonally to places and also things and the latter being a an individual characteristic.
13. Disqualified/UnqualifiedTo become disqualified is to it is in deprived or made ineligible; to be unqualified is to already lack the required prerequisites because that qualification. (The usual root is indigenous the Latin ax qualis, an interpretation “of what kind,” i beg your pardon is likewise the resource of quality.)
14. Dissatisfied/UnsatisfiedThese terms have various shades of meaning: To it is in dissatisfied is to be disappointed in the quality of something, such together a product, or occupational done; unsatisfied describes a quantitative displeasure, such as once an appetite or demand is no fulfilled. (Satisfy, the source of both words, comes from the Latin hatchet satisfacere, a compound of satis, definition “enough” — also the source of sate, meaning “to appease one indulgence” — and facere, meaning “to do or make,” whence fact.)
15. Distrust/MistrustBoth words mean “the absence or lack of trust,” with no real difference between them. The root, that course, is trust, borrowed from Scandinavian and related with the Germanic-language family members tree come true and also truth.
See more: What Size Wire Do I Need For A 200 Amp Service Wire Size Copper
Want to boost your English in five minutes a day? gain a subscription and also start receiving our writing tips and exercises daily!
Keep learning! browse the assignment category, inspect our renowned posts, or pick a related write-up below:
3 Responses to “15 “Dis-” Words and also Their Relations”Melon may 08, 2012 10:37 am
Another an excellent one is discreet/discrete. For some reason I check out “discrete” being supplied all the moment when world actually mean “discreet.”
“Discreet” is careful actions or speech. The noun “discretion” comes from this word, i m sorry may cause the confusion v “discrete.”
“Discrete” means separate from something else.
I love this articles and look forward to reading them each day. Thanks for posting them!
MelLenaon might 10, 2012 1:09 pm
I’ve seen human being often confuse number 1-2, 3-4 and also 9. Others are markedly distinguishable,