Legitimate inquiry with a little bit of a rant, ns really don't understand just how penalty minute is a stat most people use for fantasy.

You are watching: What does pim mean in hockey

Penealty Minutes space a stat that placed the team your fantasy player is on at a disadvantage. If a player bring away a many penalty minute in actual hockey without gift a designated goon he will certainly probably have his coach correct this, no be played in an essential situations or simply be benched.

All the leader for typical fantasy stats have actually nothing to carry out with punish leaders and it doesn't feel choose it is precious a roster slot to begin a guy who only provides you PIM. I want to sign up with some fantasy leagues yet looking and also seeing PIM together a stat discourages me. Right now looking at my choices I feel choose I don't really have a choice to prevent leagues with PIM stats.

27 comments
hide
86% Upvoted
Log in or authorize up to leaving a comment
Sort by: best

level 1
· 7y
It provides the league more interesting by enhancing the lot of football player that space fantasy relevant. If you've gained hits and also PIMs, your radko gudas is decent instead of useless.

And it really shouldn't discourage you, PIMs space a great fantasy stat, unlike cap tricks and shorthanded purposes which space a lot much more of a crapshoot. You vsn more or less project/predict PIM as most players space pretty continual with the year come year.

It's just a bit much more math..

ReportSave
level 2
· 7y

Hat tricks and also SHG do tend to display trends from specific players after ~ a while. Tyler Johnson is a super rapid skater, therefore he ended up v a ton of breakaways resulting in SHG. This is no necessarily random, return a crapshoot in the feeling that every one of these things had to occur in order because that him to obtain the chance to blast under the ice choose that.

ReportSave
Continue this thread

level 2
· 7y
Jagrbombr
I love PIM. I find simple straightforward suggest leagues boring and the extra peripheral gritty stats make it a lot an ext fun. In enhancement to what /u/thebutcherswife says, it also adds a little much more value come defense due to the fact that they frequently get much more penalties.

My league at this time uses G A +/- PIM struggle BLK SHP PPP and 1 various other for skaters. Goalies obtain W GAA SV% SHO. I think these stats are an excellent and while a little point heavy, not too much so.

An example of just how this made mine league interesting is the I had actually Skinner on my team last year. He to be tearing it up for a while in Points yet was very 1 dimensional in that he had no peripheral stat manufacturing so ns was dice to trade him for a while, in spite of him being ranked ~30 overall in our league at the time.

Fuck +/-. I regulated to shed this stat virtually every week despite having everyone on my team various other than 4 optimistic overall. Posesthe this stat. I hate it.

ReportSave
Continue this thread

level 1
· 7y
I dislike the stat personally. Ns petitioned my LM come not have the stat contained last year. Claiming it to be a negative stat and shouldn't it is in included. He let the go, so ns did what any right minded individual would do I drafted Steve Downie and also picked up Gudas off the waiver wire. I finished up picking up part decent PIM football player who placed up various other stats and crushed the category. My LM didn't emphasis on PIMs at all, needless to say, they are not in the scoring this year. Girlfriend will find some overlap with men like Wayne Simmonds, big Buff and also Backes of good players who contribute in PIMs. If her PIMs room counted greatly then adopt it, some human being may be ignoring the stat and let you gain some hard picks later in the draft based on PIMs

ReportSave
level 1
· 7y

We actually determined to eliminate PIM's from our league last year in favor of Hits and also most managers seemed happy around it. Sure I miss out on the time the goon I'd have actually on my roster walk ape shit and also gets favor 40 PIM's in one night yet all in all ns think access time is a much much better and an ext relevant category.

Now the stat ns really don't recognize is GWG (game to win goals), talk about a completely random ass stat. Hell i don't also know why the NHL bothers with such a useless stat!!

ReportSave
level 2
· 7y
Jagrbombr

If you're choosing between just PIM or HITs climate I definitely agree. Hit is a much better category.

Fuck GWG.

ReportSave
level 1
· 7y · edited 7y

If a player take away a many penalty minutes in real hockey without gift a designated goon he will certainly probably have actually his coach correct this

That's not entirely true. Looking at the scoring leaders this year, guys like Perry (65), Malkin (62 in 60 games), Benn (64), Wheeler (63), Kunitz (66 in 78), Landeskog (71), Simmonds (106), Neal (55 in 59), Lucic (90), Backes (119), Byfuglien (86), Subban (81), MacArthur (78)....

....I typical some that the top men in the organization take a many penalties and I don't think anyone's speak to Backes or Perry or Lucic to probably tone down the unstable stuff. It provides them one edge and also they are still very effective players.

NOT to MENTION, indigenous a fantasy perspective, PIM adds a whole brand-new dimension come the league and also makes it amazing if friend don't get a sure-fire attack weapon pick in the top-5.

See more: Where Is The Temple Of Mara In Riften ? Temple Of Mara

EDIT: also it to win the fuck out of +/- IMO. Why are we giving points the end for a team stat?

ReportSave
level 2
· 7y
Jagrbombr

Agreed. Take Ovechkin for example. Ns think it's a hoax that having actually him on your team in a league with +/- was a bit of hinderance last season at times once you required +/- because that a matchup... Most goals and also shots (or practically most) in the league, and a ton of hits, however like -30 +/-.

ReportSave
level 1
· 7y

My league runs G,A,+/-,PPP, PIM, GWG, FOW,SOG,Hit, Blk, ATOI, (W,SO SV% GAA)

Which way PIM is brutal due to the fact that the bulk of PIM guys are brutal ATOI, and also you shed potential ATOI by being in the box, no to cite less time come rack up any type of other stat. Over there aren't enough wingers in the Lucic/Simmonds/Hartnell form to cover that type of issue

ReportSave

r/fantasyhockey
Welcome to r/fantasyhockey - A location where friend can discover discussion, news, memes, and all points fantasy hockey!Ask for advice in any type of of our threads! We have actually lots of supervisors willing to provide their insight!
48.1k

GM's

209

GM's Online

Created Aug 12, 2010
Join

Top short articles september fourth 2014Top write-ups of september, 2014Top short articles 2014
helpubraintv-jp.com coinsubraintv-jp.com premiumubraintv-jp.com gifts