Backyard party season is here, and also we can’t wait to an episode the patio furniture. But prior to you start working on her picnic recipes, psychic to perform one thing first: examine the weather forecast!

Even the warmest months have the right to have unexpected showers, and you definitely don’t desire to gain your patio party rained on. Once you open up your weather app, you might see a tiny percentage that allows you know exactly how likely it is that you’ll check out rain. However, the an interpretation of the number is more complicated than any type of of us realized.

You are watching: What does 50 chance of rain mean

What go the percentage of Rain Mean?

According to a viral take it on the internet, the percentage of rain doesn’t guess the chances of rain. Instead, it way a certain percentage that the forecast area will certainly definitely view rain—so if you see a 40% chance, it method 40% of the prediction area will check out rainfall.

But it’s not quite that simple.

Meteorologists aren’t in agreement on just how to measure up the Probability that Precipitation, aka that tiny percentage the rain on your weather app. Some usage a formula because that it — popular music = C x A, wherein C represents confidence and A stands for area. For this reason if there’s a 50% opportunity of rain in 80% the a provided area, your probability that rain i do not care 40%.


More commonly, meteorologists measure PoP as the opportunity of rain at any type of given allude in the area castle cover throughout a certain duration of time. This is the an interpretation closest to the official an interpretation from the national Oceanic and Atmospheric administration (NOAA).

See more: Do You Bring A Gift To A Retirement Party ? What Gift Do You Take To A Retirement Party

What go This mean for Us?

Honestly, it probably doesn’t median all the much. If you’re to plan an the end event, you’ll most likely prepare the same means no matter exactly how you analyze the percentage. If you view 80%, there’s a great chance you’ll postpone your party, and if it’s 20%, you have the right to probably walk ahead with it. The might aid to learn the lingo with this handy chart, though!

*
*
via wmcactionnews5.com

If you have to skip gift outside since of the rain, examine out this cozy merganser day recipes, or gain started on some DIY projects.