About Wedding legislations in Maine
Below you can read v our curated perform of every Maine regulations related come marriage, weddings, officiants, and marriage licenses. If the is in any method marriage related, friend will find it here.
You are watching: How many times can you get married in maine
RELATED STATE PAGES
Maine Revised law § 22 MRSA §2703
§2703. Birth, marital relationship or death in unincorporated placeWhen a birth, marital relationship or fatality occurs in an unincorporated place, it need to be report to a municipal salesman as stated by the state registrar and also must be recorded, or registered in the electronic registration system, by the municipal clerk to whom the report is made. Every such reports and also records must be forwarded come the state registrar.
Maine Revised law § 19-A:650
All municipal clerks, the State Registrar of critical Statistics and courts that this State have a duty and are legally required to construe the provisions the Maine"s marriage laws in accordance with the following findings and purposes: 1. Findings. The people of the State that Maine uncover that:A. The union the 2 civilization joined in a monogamous marriage is the inestimable worth to society; the State has actually a compelling attention to nurture and promote the unique institution of monogamous marital relationship in the support of harmonious families and also the physical and also mental health and wellness of children; and also the State has the compelling interest in cultivating the ethical values inherent in a monogamous marriage. 2. Purposes. The objectives of this chapter are:A. Come encourage a monogamous family unit together the simple building block of our society, the foundation of harmonious and also enriching family life; B. To nurture, sustain and also protect a monogamous family unit in Maine society, its ethical imperatives, the economic role and its distinct contribution to the rearing of healthy and balanced children; and C. To support and also strengthen monogamous Maine families versus improper interference from out-of-state influences or edicts.
PL 1997, c. 65, §2 (NEW). PL 2019, c. 340, §§1-3 (AMD).
Maine Revised law § 19-A:652
1. Marital relationship license issued. ~ the submit of notice of intentions the marriage, other than as otherwise provided, the clerk or the State Registrar of an essential Statistics shall supply to the next a marital relationship license point out the time as soon as the intentions were recorded.2. Marital relationship license come nonresidents.3. Void ~ 90 days. The license is void if not offered within 90 days from the job the intentions to be filed in accordance with ar 651.4. Emergency procedure.5. Informational brochure. A marriage license might not it is in issued till a brochure prepared by the room of Health and Human Services concerning the effects of alcohol and also drugs ~ above fetuses has actually been given to both parties. The room is responsible because that making the brochures available to municipal clerks because that distribution.6. Connected parties. A marriage license may not be issued to parties associated as described in ar 701, subsection 2, unless the salesperson or State Registrar of critical Statistics has received indigenous the next the physician"s certificate of genetic counseling compelled by ar 651.7. Parties under 18 year of age. A marriage license might not be issued to persons under 18 years of period without the composed consent of your parents, guardians or persons to who a court has given custody. In the absence of persons qualified to provide consent, the referee of probate in the county where each minor resides may grant consent after notice and opportunity for hearing.8. Next under 16 year of age. The salesperson or State Registrar of an essential Statistics may not problem a marriage license come a human being under 16 years of age.A. B. C.
PL 1995, c. 694, §B2 (NEW). PL 1995, c. 694, §E2 (AFF). PL 1997, c. 507, §1 (AMD). PL 1997, c. 507, §4 (AFF). PL 1997, c. 683, §E5 (AMD). PL 1997, c. 683, §E6 (AFF). PL 2001, c. 354, §3 (AMD). PL 2001, c. 574, §§3,4 (AMD). PL 2003, c. 689, §B6 (REV). PL 2019, c. 340, §§8-11 (AMD). PL 2019, c. 535, §1 (AMD).
Maine Revised statutes § 19-A:654
1. Copy. Every human authorized to unite persons in marriage shall make and keep a document of every marriage solemnized through that person in conformity with the forms and also instructions prescribed by the State Registrar of an essential Statistics pursuant to title 22, ar 2701.2. Return of marital relationship license. The human being who solemnized the marriage shall return the marital relationship license come the State Registrar of an important Statistics or the clerk who issued the license within 7 functioning days adhering to the day on i m sorry the marital relationship is solemnized by the person. The clerk and also the State Registrar of vital Statistics every shall retain a copy of the license.3. Statement including officiant and witnesses. The marital relationship license returned have to contain a statement giving the names of the parties united in marriage, place and date the the marriage, the new name of one of two people party if one of two people party intends to change that party"s name, the signature that the human by whom the marital relationship was solemnized and the surname of the 2 witnesses. The human who solemnized the marital relationship shall include the title of the office through virtue of i m sorry the marital relationship was solemnized, the residence of the human who solemnized the marriage and:A. The date ordained or authorized by a religious faith to do marriages; B. The day the notary public"s board of directors expires; C. The day the lawyer was admitted come the Maine Bar; or D. The date the person"s short-lived registration certificate to be issued under ar 655, subsection 1‑A. 4. Recorded by clerk or State Registrar of crucial Statistics. The clerk or State Registrar of critical Statistics shall document all marital relationship licenses changed under this section.
PL 1995, c. 694, §B2 (NEW). PL 1995, c. 694, §E2 (AFF). PL 2001, c. 574, §5 (AMD). PL 2011, c. 111, §1 (AMD). PL 2019, c. 82, §2 (AMD). PL 2019, c. 340, §13 (AMD).
Maine Revised law § 19-A:658
A marriage solemnized among Quakers or Friends, in the kind practiced in their meeting, or solemnized amongst members the the Baha"i faith according to the rules and principles the the Baha"i faith, is valid and also not affected by this subchapter. The salesperson or the goalkeeper of the documents of the conference or awareness in which a marital relationship is solemnized candlestick return proof of the solemnization that the marriage as listed in ar 654. A human being who willfully neglects or refuses to execute the duty enforced upon that person by this ar commits a polite violation because that which a forfeiture not to exceed $100 for each offense may be adjudged because that the use of the municipality in which the offense occurred.
PL 1995, c. 694, §B2 (NEW). PL 1995, c. 694, §E2 (AFF).
Maine Revised statutes § 19-A:659
1. Solemnization without authorization. A human being who solemnizes a marriage when no authorized to carry out so under section 655 commits a polite violation because that which a forfeiture no to exceed $100 for each offense might be adjudged. Forfeitures built up must be spread to the municipality in which the offense occurred.2. Solemnization contrary to chapter. A human being who purposely or knowingly joins persons in marital relationship in violation the this chapter commits a civil violation for which a forfeiture of $100 might be adjudged. The human being may not join persons in marital relationship after gift adjudicated together violating this subsection.3. Violation through party come the marriage. A person who contracts a marriage in violation the this thing commits a civil violation for which a forfeiture of $100 might be adjudged. A human who makes false depictions to acquire a marital relationship license or to reason the solemnization of marriage in violation that this thing commits a civil violation because that which a forfeiture that $100 may be adjudged.4. Violation by clerk. The salesperson of a municipality who deliberately violates this chapter or falsely claims the residence of either of the parties called in the license or certificate commits a polite violation for which a forfeiture that $20 because that each offense might be adjudged.
PL 1995, c. 694, §B2 (NEW). PL 1995, c. 694, §E2 (AFF).
Maine Revised statutes § 19-A:751
The adhering to marriages are void and dissolved without legal process: 1. Solemnized in State. A marriage prohibited in section 701, if solemnized in this State.2. Last judgment.
PL 1995, c. 694, §B2 (NEW). PL 1995, c. 694, §E2 (AFF). PL 2009, c. 96, §1 (AMD).
Maine Revised law § 19-A:657
A marriage, solemnized before any known inhabitant that the State professing to it is in a justice, judge, notary windy or one ordained or licensed minister of the gospel, is no void, no one is that is validity impacted by any want that jurisdiction or authority in the justice, judge, notary or minister or by any omission or informality in beginning the intentionally of marriage, if the marital relationship is in various other respects lawful and also consummated v a complete belief, on the component of either of the people married, the they space lawfully married.
PL 1995, c. 694, §B2 (NEW). PL 1995, c. 694, §E2 (AFF). PL 2001, c. 574, §7 (AMD).
Maine Revised statutes § 19-A:656
1. Materials of license. A marriage license must have actually conspicuously printed on that the adhering to words: "The laws of Maine provide that only authorized persons may solemnize marital relationships in this State."2. Perfect license; consciousness performed. Each marriage license issued need to be completed and also the certification declare signed through both next to the plan marriage. The parties" signatures may be obtained at issuance or at the moment the marital relationship issolemnized. The completed patent or licenses need to be delivered by the parties to the human being solemnizing the marriage. Upon perfect of the solemnization, which need to be perform in the presence of at least 2 witnesses various other than the human being officiating, the person officiating and also the 2 witnesses shall sign the license or licenses, which are then well-known as the marriage certificate or certificates.3. Name change. If the marriage license shows that a party intends to readjust that party"s surname under section 654, subsection 3, the brand-new name shown on the patent becomes efficient upon perfect of the marital relationship license pursuant come subsection 2.
PL 1995, c. 694, §B2 (NEW). PL 1995, c. 694, §E2 (AFF). PL 2019, c. 82, §3 (AMD)., Amended by LD24, 2021
Maine Revised statutes § 19-A:650-A
Marriage is the legally known union of 2 people. Gender-specific terms relating to the marital partnership or familial relationships have to be understood to it is in gender-neutral for all functions throughout the law, even if it is in the context of statute, governmental or court rule, policy, common law or any type of other source of polite law.
IB 2011, c. 1, §1 (NEW).
Maine Revised law § 19-A:650-B
A marital relationship of a same-sex pair that is validly licensed and certified in one more jurisdiction is well-known for all purposes under the legislations of this State.
IB 2011, c. 1, §2 (NEW).
Maine Revised statutes § 19-A:651
1. Ar of recording. Occupants of the State intended to be join in marital relationship shall record an alert of your intentions in the office the the salesman of the municipality in i m sorry at least one that them resides or with the State Registrar of critical Statistics. If only one of the parties lives in the State, the next shall record notification of your intentions in the office the the salesperson of the municipality in which the resides party stays or through the State Registrar of critical Statistics. If there is no salesman in the ar of their residence, the notification must it is in filed through the salesperson of one adjoining municipality or with the State Registrar of crucial Statistics. If both next to a marital relationship reside exterior the State, lock must file intentions in any municipal office or with the State Registrar of critical Statistics. When the intentions space filed and the patent is issued, the next are complimentary to marry almost everywhere within the State.2. 2. Application. The next wishing come record notice of their intentions that marriageshall submit an applications for recording notification of their intentions the marriage. Theapplication may be authorize to any kind of 2 people otherwise default under this thing regardlessof the sex that each person if the clerk or State Registrar of an important Statistics is satisfied together tothe identity of the applicants. The applications must incorporate a signed certification the theinformation tape-recorded on the application is correct and also that the applicant is totally free to marryaccording to the laws of this State. If either party intends to change that party"s surname uponmarriage, the applications must incorporate the proposed brand-new name of that party. Theapplicant"s signature need to be acknowledged prior to an official authorized to take oaths. Anapplication recording notification of intention to marry is not open for windy inspection because that 50years from the date of the application other than that:A. The surname of the parties because that whom intentions to marry room filed and the intendeddate of marital relationship are publicly records and also open because that public inspection; andB. A human being with a researcher identification map under title 22, ar 2706,subsection 8 is permitted to examine records and may it is in issued a noncertified copy ofan application.3. Connected parties. If the next recording notification of your intentions come marry are related as described in ar 701, subsection 2, the next shall submit to the clerk or the State Registrar of an essential Statistics, at the moment of recording your intentions come marry, a certificate from a physician stating the the parties have actually received genetic counseling from the physician. The physician making the certification forced by this subsection shall sign the certificate.4. Former marriages. Persons recording an alert of intention to marry, either of whom has been formerly married, shall submit with the applications a certificate or certified copy of the divorce decree or annulment the the last marriage or the fatality record that the critical spouse. If both have actually been formerly married, both shall send the certificates or certified copies. The salesman or State Registrar of crucial Statistics shall make a notation top top the applications under subsection 2 showing the title and also location of the courts, the name of the next to the proceeding because that the divorces or annulments and the date when the decrees became absolute. In the situation of a death of a previous spouse, the clerk or State Registrar of an essential Statistics shall present the name of the deceased along with the date and place the death.5. Acknowledgment of international divorces. A record of divorce from another state or foreign country is proof of divorce. If the document is not in English, the record have to be interpreted into English by a disinterested 3rd person in ~ the parties" expense.6. Residents defined. Because that the purposes of this chapter, "resident" method a human whose habitation is resolved in a location within this State and also to which the person, whenever temporarily absent, has actually the intention come return. A human being is a resident of a municipality if the location of habitation is in ~ that particular municipality. The clerk of a municipality or the State Registrar of an essential Statistics shall consider a human who qualifies as a resides under location 21-A, ar 112 for voting functions a resident because that the purposes of this chapter.
PL 1995, c. 694, §B2 (NEW). PL 1995, c. 694, §E2 (AFF). PL 1997, c. 537, §12 (AMD). PL 1997, c. 537, §62 (AFF). PL 2001, c. 574, §2 (AMD). IB 2011, c. 1, §3 (AMD). PL 2011, c. 511, §1 (AMD). PL 2013, c. 424, Pt. B, §5 (AMD). PL 2019, c. 82, §1 (AMD). PL 2019, c. 340, §§4-7 (AMD)., Amended by LD24, 2021
Maine Revised law § 19-A:752
1. Complaint; court order. As soon as the validity the a marriage is doubted, one of two people party may document a complaint for annulment. The court candlestick order the marital relationship annulled or affirmed according to the evidence. The court"s order walk not impact the rights of the defendant uneven the defendant to be actually informed of the activity or answer the complaint.2. Parental rights and responsibilities. The court start an order because that annulment might make an order awarding parental rights and responsibilities v respect come a minor boy of the next in accordance with chapter 55.3. Name change. ~ above the inquiry of either spouse to readjust that person"s very own name, the court, when entering referee for annulment:A. Shall readjust the surname of the spouse to a previous name requested; or B. May change the name of the spouse to any kind of other name requested. 4. Finalization. The psychological court may, upon movement for entrance of last judgment during the pendency the the very nice period, grant a final judgment that annulment between the parties if the court expressly finds that there is not just reason for hold-up and entry of judgment will certainly not prejudice the legal or equitable legal rights of a party throughout the pendency of one appeal. The submit of a motion under this subsection walk not stay an compensation of son or spousal support or parental rights and responsibilities, except by stimulate of the court under the Maine rules of polite Procedure.5. Annulment because of prior marriage. Once a marital relationship is annulled because of a front marriage, and also the party that was qualified of contracting the second marriage contract the second marriage in great faith, believing the the front spouse was dead, the previous marriage to be void or a divorce had actually been decreed leaving the party come the former marriage totally free to marry again, that fact must be stated in the decree of nullity.
PL 1995, c. 694, §B2 (NEW). PL 1995, c. 694, §E2 (AFF).
Maine Revised law § 19-A:753
If, after a marriage has been solemnized, the State Registrar of vital Statistics determines the the parties are not eligible to it is in married because the period or other requirements provided in this chapter room not satisfied, the state registrar may file an activity in district Court to void the marriage.
PL 1995, c. 694, §B2 (NEW). PL 1995, c. 694, §E2 (AFF).
Maine Revised law § 19-A:655
1. Persons authorized come solemnize marriages. The following may solemnize marriages in this State:A. If a residents of this State:(1) A righteousness or judge;(2) A lawyer admitted to the Maine Bar; or(4) A notary windy under location 4, thing 19; B. Even if it is a resident or nonresident that this State and whether or not a citizen of the united States:(1) one ordained minister that the gospel;(2) A cleric engaged in the service of the religious body to which the cleric belongs; or(3) A person licensed to preach through an combination of ministers, religious seminary or ecclesiastical body; and C. A nonresident the the State who has a short-lived registration certificate authorize by the Office the Data, study and crucial Statistics pursuant to subsection 1‑A. 1-A. Momentary registration certificate. The Office the Data, research study and critical Statistics may worry a momentary registration certificate come solemnize a marital relationship ceremony come an individual who is a resides of one more state and also who is authorized under the legislations of that state to solemnize marriages.A. An separation, personal, instance seeking a short-lived registration certificate under this subsection need to submit to the Office the Data, study and an essential Statistics:(1) A copy of a valid commission or various other indicia of authority to perform marriage ceremonies in the individual"s state that residence together proof of existence of the authority;(2) A copy that the various other state"s statute the grants the individual government to solemnize marital relationships in the state;(3) The names and also residences of the 2 next whose marital relationship the individual proposes come solemnize and also the expected date of the marital relationship ceremony; and(4) A $100 registration fee. B. Upon finding that the individual has actually satisfied the needs of paragraph A, the Office the Data, study and an essential Statistics shall issue to the separation, personal, instance a temporary registration certificate authorizing the individual to solemnize the marriage of the parties whose names were provided pursuant to i A, subparagraph (3). The Office of Data, study and crucial Statistics may decrease to problem a short-term registration certificate if complaints filed versus the individual because that actions in this State have actually been substantiated or because that other good cause, also if the state in i m sorry the separation, personal, instance is authorized to solemnize marriages has not take away disciplinary action. C. A short-lived registration certificate does not authorize the individual to solemnize any type of marriage various other than the marriage of the parties detailed pursuant to paragraph A, subparagraph (3). D. A short-term registration certificate under this subsection expires upon the individual"s signing the marriage license or 90 job after issuance, whichever occurs first. E. The Office that Data, research study and critical Statistics shall keep a irreversible record the all momentary registration certificate issued under this subsection. The records have to contain the name and also residence of every individual to who a momentary registration certificate is issued. 2. Enforcement. The State Registrar of critical Statistics shall enforce this ar as much as it come within the state registrar"s power and also shall inform the ar attorney of the county in i beg your pardon the penalty should be applied of the facts the have involved the state registrar"s knowledge. ~ above receipt the this notice, the district attorney candlestick prosecute the human who violated this section.3. Religious exemption. This chapter does no require any member of the clergy to carry out or any kind of church, spiritual denomination or other religious institution to host any marriage in violation of the religious beliefs of that member of the clergy, church, spiritual denomination or other spiritual institution. The refusal to carry out or organize a marriage under this subsection can not be the basis for a sue or liability and does not impact the tax-exempt status of the church, spiritual denomination or other spiritual institution.
PL 1995, c. 694, §B2 (NEW). PL 1995, c. 694, §E2 (AFF). PL 2001, c. 574, §6 (AMD). IB 2011, c. 1, §4 (AMD). PL 2011, c. 111, §§2-5 (AMD).
Maine Revised statutes § 19-A:660
1. Application. The parties, or the legal representatives of the parties, come a marital relationship that occurred more than one year previously may use for a certificate of marital relationship under this section by submitting come the State Registrar of an important Statistics the following:A. The license and certification statement completed in accordance with ar 656; B. The compelled filing fee; and also C. An application for a certificate that marriage, which need to include, if available, a copy of the marital relationship intentions obtained from the salesman of the municipality whereby the intentions were filed and other papers specified in rules embraced by the State Registrar of crucial Statistics. 2. Indication of date of filing. The certificate of marital relationship issued under this section should be significant "delayed" and must indicate the date that the certificate of marriage was filed.3. Rules. The State Registrar of an important Statistics shall adopt rules to lug out the objectives of this section. Rules embraced pursuant to this subsection are routine technical rules pursuant to location 5, chapter 375, subchapter 2-A.
PL 2015, c. 193, §1 (NEW).
Maine Revised statutes § 19-A:653
1. Filing; go into notice. A human who believes that parties are about to contract marriage when one of two people of them can not lawfully perform so may file a caution and also the reasons for the fist in the office the the clerk where notice of their intentions is compelled to be filed or with the State Registrar of an important Statistics. If one of two people party uses to enter notice of their intentions, the salesman or State Registrar of vital Statistics candlestick withhold the license until the judge of probate native the county associated approves the marriage.2. Procedure. Prior to the referee of probate may give a marriage, the court must give due notification and an chance to it is in heard come all involved parties. The judge of probate shall determine whether the parties might lawfully contract marital relationship within 7 days unless the judge of probate certifies that further time is important for the purpose. In the case, a license should be withheld until the expiration the the certified time. The salesperson or State Registrar of an essential Statistics shall deliver or withhold the license in accordance through the final decision that the judge of probate.3. Referee for costs. If the judge of probate determines that the parties might lawfully contract marriage, the judge shall go into judgment against the human filing the caution because that costs and issue execution for costs.
PL 1995, c. 694, §B2 (NEW). PL 1995, c. 694, §E2 (AFF). PL 2019, c. 340, §12 (AMD).
Maine Revised statutes § 19-A:701
1. Marital relationship out of State come evade law. When residents of this State, through intent come evade this section and to return and reside here, walk into an additional state or country to have actually their marital relationship solemnized over there and afterwards return and reside here, that marital relationship is void in this State.1-A. Particular marriages carry out in another state not known in this State. Any kind of marriage carry out in one more state that would certainly violate any provisions the subsections 2 to 4 if performed in this State is not recognized in this State and is taken into consideration void if the parties take it up residence in this State.2. Prohibitions based on degrees of consanguinity; exceptions. This subsection governs marriage in between relatives.A. A male may no marry his mother, grandmother, daughter, granddaughter, sister, brother"s daughter, sister"s daughter, father"s sister, mother"s sister, the daughter that his father"s brother or sister or the daughter that his mother"s brother or sister. A woman may not marry she father, grandfather, son, grandson, brother, brother"s son, sister"s son, father"s brother, mother"s brother, the child of her father"s brother or sister or the son of her mother"s brothers or sister. A person may not marry the person"s parent, grandparent, child, grandchild, sibling, nephew, niece, aunt or uncle. B. Notwithstanding paragraph A, a male may marry the daughter of his father"s brothers or sisters or the daughter of his mother"s brother or sister, and also a woman may marry the kid of she father"s brothers or sister or the child of her mother"s brother or sister as lengthy as, pursuant to sections 651 and 652, the male or woman offers the physician"s certificate of hereditary counseling. 3. Persons topic to guardianship. A human for who a guardian or limited guardian has been appointed under title 18-C, ar 5-301 might not contract marriage without the approval that the appointed guardian. For persons under limited guardianship, this subsection applies only if the court has granted the certain power come contract for marriage to the guardian.A. B. 4. Polygamy. A marital relationship contracted while one of two people party has actually a living spouse from who the party is no divorced is void.5. Very same sex marriage prohibited. (REPEALED)6. Marriage void. A marital relationship contracted as soon as either party has actually failed to send a certificate or certified copy the the divorce decree or annulment that the last marital relationship or the death record of the last spouse or when either party has actually intentionally lied around the number of previous marriages is void.
See more: Re: How Long Do Swans Sit On Eggs, Mute Swan Nesting & Breeding Habits
PL 1995, c. 694, §B2 (NEW). PL 1995, c. 694, §E2 (AFF). PL 1997, c. 65, §3 (AMD). PL 2007, c. 695, Pt. C, §4 (AMD). IB 2011, c. 1, §5 (AMD). PL 2011, c. 542, Pt. A, §20 (AMD). PL 2017, c. 402, Pt. C, §35 (AMD). PL 2017, c. 402, Pt. F, §1 (AFF). PL 2019, c. 340, §§14, 15 (AMD). PL 2019, c. 417, Pt. B, §14 (AFF).