Hey all. Im in the Army, and we frequently run every mon, wed, and fri 2-4 miles. But it isnt always continuous, and it definitely is not at a normal pace for me.

You are watching: How many laps is 1.5 miles

In the Army we have whats called PT tests. The run portion is a 2 mile run, and I must finish in a certain time. For my age group, its 16 minutes.

I usually have no issues doing these as our run route is literally 1 mile down this one road, and 1 mile back up. Easy.

However, I am taking my first PT test next Wednesday on a high school track. So for 2 miles, thats 8 laps. Essentially 2 minutes a lap.

I have never failed, but my mind cant wrap around the idea of EIGHT laps. How do I stop psyching myself out? To make it worse, I was injured, so I havent ran in 2 weeks, but I dont think thats enough time to get out of shape when I have been forced to run for the past 5 years.

10 comments
hide
67% Upvoted
Log in or sign up to leave a comment
Sort by: best

level 1
· 7y · edited 7y
Running 2 miles on a track is not terrible. They include that in the track events. 3 or 4 miles, yikes. 2, extremely doable. Think of it as two 4 lap groups.

the 7th lap is the hardest. the 8th lap, you're just cruising, bringing it home, kicking, whatever you want to call it.

You're only focused on the first mile until you're done with it, then you're only doing a mile. Think about chugging each lap down to keep your pace up, and repeat the number you're on in your head.

Getting around the track in 16 minutes is WAY more important than being bored for that time. I would definitely recommend doing a trial 1 or 2 mile run on the track before, especially since you've been out for two weeks.

ReportSave
level 1
· 7y

You'll definitely want to do a warm-up run or two in the days leading up to it, to get your body right. You might also try getting your mind right by practicing on a track.

ReportSave
level 1
· 7y

If you worry about your attention span, just remember that 14 year olds do it all the time. ;)

The number 8 is daunting, sure, but I think that in practice you'll take it in stride. After all, after only a few minutes you've already got a couple laps done!

If you want to keep being distracted (and thus letting the laps fly by) try to figure out where on the track arbitrary completion milestones would be (i.e. where would you be 30% done, then 35% done, etc). Then you can try and project what your finish time will be based on lap splits, or even on 100m splits if you really want to have fun.

ReportSave
level 1
· 7y

Oh man, I loved running on the track. My specialty in college was the 10k, so 25 laps. I liked it because you could always keep track of your pace and each lap I would reset mentally. Instead of 25 laps, I had fun trying to hit as many laps as possible at the same pace. If you are trying to break 16 minutes, see how many laps you can do at 2:00 minutes. If thats easy, try to aim for 1:45 (7 min/mile) or what have you. Eight laps really isn't all that bad, especially if you have others out there on the track with you. Like PP said, get out there once and try it and you will find that they go pretty quickly.

ReportSave
level 1
· 7y

Chunk it down into manageable steps and make yourself a counter. For example, put eight small rocks in your pocket and chuck one out as you complete each lap. Don't think about the whole run, just focus on chucking that next rock.

ReportSave
level 1
· 7y

When we have to do the 2 mile run on a track as opposed to a down and back, I break down the run into quarter mile increments. My target time is 13:00 or under, which comes out to about 1:36 per lap, so I try to hit that number each lap. I find that focusing on each individual lap helps to drown out the monotony of track running.

ReportSave
level 2
Op · 7y

I wish I was even close to 13:00 2 miles, lol. Grats, though.

ReportSave
Continue this thread

level 1
· 7y
I do 12 laps of the track sometimes when injured - I normally sprint so do much shorter distances.

I break it down as I go. For 8 laps, focus first on doing 2 laps. Great, you're 1/4 there.

Now, do that one more time. Fantastic. Half way.

Now, you've done 2 lots of 2. Another set is easy. It's just 2 laps. Easy.

Done? Now only 2 laps to go and you're all done. Have a reward at the finish line for when you finish, even just a bottle of water will do. Focus on your reward for these last two.